Friday, March 17, 2006

No potatoes, how sweet

It’s been a stinker again today, so the slight dip in temperature must have been a once-off! The lady at Brown’s Video asked me today how I was handling the Saint weather, and I said that I was fairly used to it, because it’s only up to about 27 where in Pretoria it was into the 30s, but the humidity is the big thing. I never feel like I can’t breathe because it’s stuffy, it’s just that it’s sticky weather. Gross.

Not much happened today to report, other than that there are no potatoes available for purchase in the shops. There was a write-up about the potato and onion situation in last week’s paper, that not enough were imported and there are apparently not enough local ones to go around. I walked down to the Market this morning with the boys (they wanted to walk, and it was before 9 am so still a lot of shade). Had to wait around for a while because the St Helena Growers Co-Operative Society was still closed (that’s the place where the farmers sell their produce), so we sat on a bench inside the market and had a chat. Caleb’s favourite topic to chat about is Jesus, and Aaron always adds that he died on a cross, and Caleb reminds him it was for our sins. Then we chatted about smoking, but I don’t think I explained it very well, so maybe one day he’ll try it out! Anyway, asked for potatoes at the co-op and they only had sweet potatoes, so I got some of those. I have some recipes in the St Helena cookbook so I’ll try them out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.