Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Knollcombes Meander

I took the camera and the boys to Knollcombes this morning, after getting an early start to the day with school, at about 9.30. Managed to snap two fairy terns who were flying just above me, having a good look at me – one of them has its head turned to the camera, and it’s really quite a good photo although not as clear as it could be…it’s difficult trying to focus on moving objects! After Knollcombes we drove through Francis Plain and back up to Plantation House, to get more pics. The Knollcombes/Boer Cemetery outing is a nice little walk, nothing heavy, but very scenic. There are a couple of good walks through Plantation Forest too. It struck me today as I was walking through the woods at Knollcombes, how safe it is. There is no way that I would venture out with the boys in some secluded spot in SA, but here there was no question as to whether or not it would be wise. We are taking it for granted that it’s so safe here, and that if I had encountered anyone, I’m sure we would have had a very nice exchange of pleasantries! It’s good to stop and remember those blessings.

After a quick joint-effort tidy up of the house, we all went swimming, but the water is getting colder these days. In the country this morning, it was almost chilly, but not quite. Just cool enough that Aaron wanted to wrap himself up in the picnic blanket. He jumped into the pool today without any announcement or fanfare, it was so funny. He doesn’t close his eyes when he goes under the water, so comes up with his eyes open and a dazed look on his face.

School has been a bit frustrating lately, especially with Caleb and reading. I’m trying to teach him “ar” and “sh” dipthongs, but he keeps on forgetting them. I don’t know why it isn’t sticking, but I’m just drilling it in all day, every day. He also hasn’t quite figured out what comes after 19, 29 etc…that “twenty-ten” is actually thirty! Dot-to-dots are still a patience tester for me, because he doesn’t really concentrate on where to go next, so 34 can come after 25, no problem, which leaves you with a drawing of a man with half a leg or whatever the case. But we press on.

Today the boys were singing “Onward Christian Soldiers” but it’s usually “Ho Ho Ho Hosanna” or “I may never march in the infantry” completely out of tune and wrong words, but very heartily. Caleb said that Christians can’t really be soldiers (all the killing and stuff), so I explained the concept of us fighting the devil, even though we can’t see him, and how Satan comes to attack us by telling us to do naughty things, and we have to fight him by saying no. We’ll see what comes of that.

No comments: