Thursday, October 28, 2010

Job offer - thanks but no thanks?

I taught about the Second Coming today in my Bible-in-Schools class...the basic, non-disputed facts that Jesus is coming again, no one knows when, but every eye will see Him. How glorious His appearance will be! And such a blessing for me to be reminded about these wonderful truths as I did the prep. Went from there to do the grocery shopping, then re-reorganized the pantry when I got home...some things are still not working for me and I do not like inefficiency.

Nick and I had our school clubs in the afternoon; I showed my group how to use PhotoFiltre, a freeware graphics package which is small and limited but easy and fun. After fiddling around with the essentials (cropping, colour adjustment, contrast, greyscale conversion etc), they discovered the clone tool - helpful in photo editing for spot removal and fixing, but also great for creating monsters with 10 eyes and hairy beards. They loved it!! (I did administer a word of caution regarding cloning - a journalist was fired from his Very Serious Job for cloning out a pair of inconsequential and distracting legs on one of his editorial photos).

I left them playing for a while to have a meeting with Mr Phillips, who very formally and officially approached me to offer me a temporary teaching aide position at the school. My first response was to turn it down as it's not the sort of job I've been looking for or am qualified to do, as well as it not seeming particularly viable financially - being very part-time it would prevent me from taking on any full-day temp assignments as I would need to commit to seeing the job through. I left him with the assurance that I would pray about it and discuss it with Nick, but that it didn't seem like a possibility. BUT...when Nick and I got home later and spoke about it and prayed about it, the answer was fairly obvious - we've been praying for a job, and God brought this one. How silly to turn it down on the gamble that I may or may not get something else. So come Monday I will be affixed at TCS for three hours each day to devote my attention to one special-needs boy, my trepidation hidden behind a smiling face!

Had tea with the Camerons - it's been ages since we've hung out. We were blessed with a small wahoo (snoek) fresh from the docks earlier in the day by one of our church folk, so took that around with us to add to the meal. The fish was delicious - we miss St Helena's tuna and wahoo availability and price, and this was a real treat. Along with the sausages, potato wedges and salad, we ate more than we've eaten in several days - appetites have finally returned!

No comments: