Friday, April 25, 2008

What we did today

During the morning I made an awful pot of celery, potato and pumpkin soup, which is almost inedible, and a batch of coffee kisses which flopped in the oven, rendering my careful piping of the batter into one flat biscuit. Not a very successful morning of domesticity. After lunch I watched a DVD with the boys (Ratatouille – doesn’t Pixar always do fantastic movies?!). I had to go up the road to fetch a piece of red velvet curtain from someone, which I need to altar to fit at Knollcombes – there is an archway behind the pulpit where the curtain will be hung. Nick had a session with the lay preachers in our house from 5 pm, so I was carefully concealed upstairs and the boys were playing outside, too far away to be a noise. We ate our supper very quietly in the diningroom! At 7.30 Nick had a bible study at Half Tree Hollow, but he was home again by about 7.50, as only four people had arrived and they couldn’t get into the Guide Hall where they meet.

Caleb cut his finger on his little craft blade yesterday while playing with playdough, while I was out in town. Nick tended to him by putting on a plaster, although more for comfort’s sake. Today, Caleb was complaining that it was very sore, and ‘is there any medicine for the pain?’ I thought I should see what lay under the plaster, but oh, the tears when I tried to get the plaster off. Caleb doesn’t cry very often, so when he does, we really take note! I tried cutting the plaster off, but dear one was very worried about me cutting his finger, and I couldn’t pull it off because the edge of it was over the wound. Eventually I had to take him to Nick, who showed no mercy in pulling it off. We couldn’t even see the little cut underneath, but his skin had gone all manky – wrinkly and pale. He cried about it all for a good ten minutes after that, but it didn’t really take him long into the afternoon to feel better about it. There were no more complaints for the rest of the day. Funny how things like that can be so traumatic!

No comments: