Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chocolates from the Dentist and heresy from the Anglicans

I took Caleb to the dental hygienist today for his long-awaited and twice-postponed fissure sealant. I suspect he was a bit apprehensive, not knowing what to expect, and as usual his eyes watered and he was wary of having things in his mouth, but he coped superbly. I was with him the whole time, only popping out briefly to check on Aaron in the waiting room, who had begged to come with us, and who had been left to his own devices while we were busy (he was conscientiously looking at the pamphlets on how to care for your dentures and so on). Caleb needed some reminders to open his mouth wide, but really it was such a short procedure that he didn’t battle. As we were leaving, the dentist who worked on my tooth saw us and told us to wait, and came back with two bar-ones for the boys which he just ‘happened to find’ in his bag. He told us not to tell anyone the dentist had given them to us! Ha ha…

School this morning was pretty good – it must have been, because the boys gave me a ‘good girl’ sticker for my big chunk of patience. (*Groan*, I just see that I’m still wearing it…after going to the dentist and town!!)

I had six girls for our group yesterday, and they mostly arrived on time, too. We had our best session yet. I read to them the chapter from my book, which usually isn’t all that relevant for them, but sparked off some discussion. We spoke about things that are pure, lovely, noble, excellent etc that they should be filling their heads with, and then on a tangent they told me what the Anglican minister teaches them when he comes to do his weekly lesson with them. Apparently Jesus isn’t the Son of God, but Joseph’s son, and God and Jesus want the devil to be their friend but the devil hates them. What utter nonsense! I set them straight on both counts, and warned them that just because he is a minister, they mustn’t believe everything he says, rather testing his teachings against the bibles. When I told Nick later, he was quite angry about it – there is so much heresy coming at these kids from the church’s direction, which is as bad as the apathy they get from their families. But, I felt it was a very positive meeting with them, and they are certainly enjoying it. It was especially great that they gave input. Not that they are usually quiet girls…on the contrary, but I think the mindset is that they simply wait to be taught instead of thinking and interacting.

No comments: