Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You did what????

The orthodox method of job hunting has simply been failing so I'm trying a different approach. It's called the "Pretend to be Confident and seek out your Dream Job" approach, where you think up what you'd most like to do, have it spontaneously seconded by a friend whose strength is getting people motivated, and then go ahead and ask the Prospective Employer if they're hiring. I really had no such intention of doing this when I left the house today to buy a ukulele for Aaron, and as such was garbed in a rather dowdy combination of clothing, accessorylessness, non-hair and just a thin scraping of make-up. Not a great start to pulling off such a mission, but I just had to do it before courage failed. Thus attired and prepared I marched up the stairs (timid people creep; confident people march - one must get into character) and thrust forth my hand in exuberant introduction. The Prospective Employer graciously smiled and nodded and although her first thought was "oh dear, another walk-in I'll have to turn away", the more we chatted the more excited we both became about what seemed to be a possibility. I left the meeting in high spirits - as high about the fact that I'd done something so brave and daring as that I'd met such a lovely, lovely person...whose identity I'll not share just yet in case the whole thing falls through!! But watch this space....
The boys started their music lessons this afternoon. Aaron loved his bright yellow, brand new uke and was keen to get into it straight away. His lesson was first and he kept staring out of the window and avoiding eye contact with his teacher...nerves? Caleb's violin lesson happened later and it was such a thrill to see him standing with his hired instrument tucked under his chin, the right pose and grip being taught as the first thing. He needed no encouragement to practice, and indeed we all had a turn on his violin. It's remarkable to me how you can drag a bunch of hairs across a string and it produces such a resounding note!

No comments: