Friday, February 04, 2011

Bought is nice but home-made is cheaper!

I was supposed to be temping today as well but yesterday they realized that I wasn't needed after all (hard not to take that rejection personally :) ) so spent the day at home catching up on home stuff. I had a few photos printed at Harvey Norman and wandered around their furniture section while I was waiting, picking up ideas. Saw the most beautiful cushion but for $69 it was never going to be coming home with me! I set to work making my own version of it with curtaining offcuts; I shall henceforth call it my 'Waterlily Cushion'. For anyone with about five hours to spare, here's a step-by-step making thereof:
1. Select a nylon fabric and cut out heaps and heaps of little circles - mine had a radius of 1 3/8" and I needed 96. Easiest done with some form of circle-cutting implement.2. Melt the perimeter of each circle to prevent fraying.3. Prepare the back and front of the cushion according to desired size - mine was roughly 17" x 11". I used four buttons for closure but a zip would be equally suitable.4. Measure and mark on the front piece where each circle needs to be stitched, using the same spacing as the radius measurement (ie the centers of my circles were 1 3/8" apart.)5. Stitch each circle in place using a bead as the center.6. Sew the back onto the front, right sides together - taking care not to catch any of the circles in the seam.
7. Turn right side out and insert cushion inner. Sit back and admire your handiwork!

2 comments:

Hazel Beckett said...

I m most impressed! As the Saints would say - you sure are "crafty"

Buckland said...

Wow!
And I love Hazel's comment. Very "crafty" indeed. :-)