Sunday, June 07, 2009

Save our airport!

This morning I sold jewellery outside the canister again. This will probably be my last opportunity before Nick goes to Ascension as I won’t have my regular baby-sitter anymore! I set up my stall and Nick and the boys went off to GNC, which was sort of cancelled as the school hall was set up with desks for exams. They just let the kids play around outside without doing any teaching. Also outside the canister were a few people drumming up support for the airport. I hadn’t realized how much onus rests on the people of St Helena to respond to the consultation papers that the government (DFID) has put forward. We need to actually let them know if we want Option A (an airport at a cost of around ₤230,000,000), Option B (a replacement ship), or Option C (defer any decision on airport or ship for a few years, which DFID is recommending). Of course the majority wants Option A although there are some people who are very much against the airport. So, there was a table set up with letters to be signed. They were well supported. At 12 pm there was a church parade by the Anglican Church, celebrating 150 years on the island. They had two floats driving slowly down the road with scenes depicting freedom for slaves, and ladies dressed in old-fashioned garb and Saint Helena.

No comments: