Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dentist, grocery shopping, and home-grown soup

I was at the dentist early this morning for another repair job…a tooth he worked on a few weeks ago broke again, this time a bit more seriously, I think. It happened on the weekend but I know that Monday mornings in the emergency room at the dentist is like a train station, so I waited until this morning rather. Even so, it was busy, and although I was the first patient, there was quite a wait in between having the anaesthetic and actually getting the thing done. My jaw is still feeling tender after the work he did this morning – I guess it’s a bit bruised, but also stiff from having been stretched open for so long! I wasn’t in any rush to get home, really – the boys wouldn’t mind missing a bit of school, so I popped in at Warren’s where they had advertised a sale, and tried on a few things, coming away with just a short little navy blue skirt for 50p. (That was not the typical sale price – usually their stuff is still unaffordable, even on sale). I also popped in at the Star and Queens Mary’s, picking up a few groceries along the way. I was home and ready for school by about 11, and we just did most of the scheduled stuff, skipping all the written work and maths. I was really fine doing this as Caleb is so sick with a cold that I might have missed some school anyway. After lunch we finished the read-alouds, then I put a DVD on for them while I went to the Longwood store to continue the grocery shopping. I don’t often do my main shopping there as they are slightly more expensive than Thorpes, but I might have been a bit bored otherwise. It was a good shopping afternoon and the shelves were well stocked – very satisfying to get almost everything on the list! Then I made soup. I had two of our own pumpkins waiting to be used, and they both went into the soup which was wonderfully thick and tasty. Nick commented that it was VERY orange, and Caleb said it tasted pumpkinny, but actually it was wonderful. I also had four tomatoes in the fridge needing using, and Caleb picked the first usable carrot a few days ago which also went into the soup. Well done Caleb! I thanked him for sharing his carrot.

No comments: