Thursday, February 26, 2009

The return of the Longwood Fog

The PotD best sums up the day…rainy! It rained and rained and rained. At about 4 pm the sun came out for a little while and that was the end of the rain although it clouded over again shortly after that. Definitely not a day for washing.
The boys spent the day at home (actually they were grounded but we won’t go into that). I played two rounds of Uno with them in the afternoon, but otherwise I spent most of the day beading (apart from a half-hour burst of housework which resulted in the misleading appearance of a clean house) – I prepared pendants by gluing bell caps to semi-precious stones, and in the afternoon I made some of the pendants into necklaces. I got superglue on my fingers but fortunately avoided the finger which I slit open last night on pliers, otherwise I’m sure it would have been really unpleasant.
Elza phoned during the morning to ask if I could retrieve her camera from Longwood House where she had accidentally left it yesterday, so I took a walk thinking it might be nice to have some fresh air, albeit in the rain. Anyone else ever had an umbrella turn inside out on them? It’s not that it was particularly windy this morning, but there was enough draft to render the umbrella fairly useless. I’ve always wondered what happens when the umbrella bends upwards like you see in Mary Poppins, but I discovered that it’s an easy matter to flip it over again just by turning it into the wind...mystery solved.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

I am laughing at your umbrella story because it happened to me too! Most days I just settled for my raincoat and figured, it was Longwood and I was going to get wet...and that was just fine. One day it was so windy though that I actually had trouble walking!