Sunday, March 22, 2009

Unsurprising picnic and afternoon out

Today was super, but hectically busy. The first order of the day was to drop off an e-mail from Zac’s mom off at the radio station, for the station manager to pass on to Zac. He has been trying to leave the island for the last few days but keeps having engine trouble, so he starts off then has to turn back. We thought he had successfully left on Thursday, but apparently not. Glad we could help in some small way. Then on to Good News Club after which we quickly dashed to the shops where I bought small pebbles and two twigs of fake apple blossom twigs for my display. On to home where it was a mad rush to get things ready for the afternoon which comprised a birthday picnic and a pampering event for women at which I was invited to sell jewellery. I left Nick in charge of cooking pork sausages while I did what I needed to do. We made it to the Community Centre in Bluehill in good time for DT’s surprise party. At least, we all thought it was going to be a surprise, but one small boy who shall remain nameless but who lives in our house gave the game away by boldly stating that “you are having a birthday on Saturday and I am going.” Doh! Phil and DT arrived quite late, by which time we were all longing for the picnic lunches we had prepared. After they arrived the food quickly got going and we had a jolly lunch together. I had to leave early, but left Nick and the boys there where they had an excellent afternoon (they said the fun started after I left, but not to take it personally!). They played soccer and cricket and got super dirty.
I headed over to the Jamestown Community Centre and set up – all the work I put in this week to the new look display paid off as many ladies came over to look at my wares. A couple of them bought some things before the afternoon really got started, but the main flood came between the talk and the tea. I didn’t hear most of the talk as I needed to sit outside with my display to prevent it from getting blown away, but I did learn that you should always wear shoes that are darker than your hemline, and if you’re really stuck for shoes for an outfit, stick with black. After the talk the ladies were free to browse the stands – next to me was a magazine display, and around the corner one of the hairdressers was doing some hair straightening free of charge and there was also nail painting on offer.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

This display is wonderful! It has a very natural/island feel to it and it much tidier than say, sitting on the table. And I like the sign at the top - does it say your business name? Where did you find the little easel? That is perfect for your purpose here.