Saturday, March 21, 2009

Rockfall 2009

There was another rockfall yesterday afternoon in town, originating from almost the same place as last year’s big one. This was only a small fall of about a ton, and at this stage it seems that only the AVEC building (100m from the manse) was damaged. Ladder Hill Road and Shy Road caught most of the fall and have sustained damage to their walls. The people working in the AVEC centre heard it coming and quickly evacuated their premises and were no doubt quite terrified. There is also evidence of a rockfall on the Side Path mountain, with another hole in the wall. This is following yesterday’s torrential rainfall – it’s rockfall weather again. The rain has washed a lot of dirt down the valleys into the sea and the water was astonishingly muddy in both James’ Bay and Ruperts’ Bay.
We were in town over lunch time (we took rolls and bought ham and cheese in town) and after enduring some drizzle, some rain, and some more drizzle, the sun came out and we could eat at Castle Gardens. The boys caught fish in the pond, just with their hands – the fish swim right in to their cupped hands! In faith I did a load of washing during the afternoon but the rains came again and so it is all soaked.
During the morning, Aaron and I made muffins – all we had to do was add water to a packet mix and beat it. They were delicious. I also played a round of top trumps with Aaron, who had already dealt the cards in the hopes that he’d find someone to play it with. I assigned a book for Caleb to read as he was looking for something, and he finished the entire thing in half the morning. He’s started on another one. Aaron has also been reading quite a bit. While they were busy I was busy with the jewellery stuff (still!). I whitewashed the cactus and it looks pretty cool – much nicer. I’ll use it until it falls apart or until I get tired of it. I’ve very much enjoyed the break from school this week. I think it’s been very beneficial, mostly for me to evaluate things and see where we’re going wrong. The main problem is me – as I said to a friend, it’s a case of expectation conflicting with reality. I need to lower my expectations of the boys, and to some degree allow them to be boys.

Nick had a prison service in the early afternoon, with four men attending. He preached on hungering and thirsting for righteousness, and they discussed the sinful nature. He feels the men are responding to the Holy Spirit.

No comments: