Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sleepover #2


Yesterday was a busy day, with getting the house cleaned and ready for the sleepover. School was all fine, neither boys had problems with anything that I can recall, although my sleep-deprived brain might not be at its peak for memory. I spent most of the afternoon cleaning, and then made pizza for supper as usual. Straight after supper I made another pizza for the girls, and that was in the oven when they arrived. They launched into the fun straight away, although first started with some screaming because I had said that they may make as much noise as they wanted to since the boys were out. I had to revise that rule though, and say that they could make noise, but I didn’t expect it to be continuous!! We played all sorts of different games, including the old favourite, the chocolate game, with a slab still from Jean’s generosity some time back. I showed two of the girls how to make the poppies, as the other girls were more interested in wrestling each other at that point, and we also did the seed-in-jar science experiment / spiritual analogy. I compared their faith to the seeds, which need to be watered and looked after, so I hope that when their little plants start growing, they will be reminded of the lesson. At about 11 pm they were still running around, so I told them it was time to brush their teeth and settle down, and we’d watch a DVD. This we did, and actually managed to watch almost the whole DVD without too much disturbance and interference, although they weren’t lying quietly in their sleeping spots as I’d hoped. After the DVD ended I insisted that they get into bed and then we watched most of our wedding video, which they all loved. I fast forwarded what I thought would be boring bits, but they complained every time I did! (This morning they were playing bridesmaid-bridesmaid). They settled and were ready for sleep by the time Nick and the boys got home at 1 am. I lay awake very uncomfortably on the couch for some time, bothered by the fact that if I straightened my legs, the duvet didn’t cover them and they attracted the mozzies. About an hour and four mosquito bites later, I tried out an empty patch of cushions on the floor, but couldn’t settle there either. Eventually I got up, making sure all the girls were asleep, and switched off the passage light which they had begged me to leave on (scared of the dark), and got comfortable on the floor, just on top of a duvet. After that I slept fairly well, but woke up at my usual 6.30 or so. For that reason I am now very tired. Nick, meanwhile, had had a great time at Svetlana’s house, playing TV games with Tsvetan while the boys and Georgie played and watched a DVD. The boys went to sleep there at about 9 pm, not too late, but they were noticeably tired today.

This morning the girls had their breakfasts, and then took forever in the bathroom getting themselves dressed and brushed. I tidied up the lounge a bit and folded sheets, and then bathed when they were all finished their ablutions. Had to pick up clumps of long dark hair off the floor and practically wash out the whole bath to get the toothpaste away before I even tried to feel at home in my own bathroom!

Nick had to be at Tammy’s house at 3 for the next session of album practice, and I had arranged to take the boys to visit Steve and Maureen, since they live so close and I haven’t been to their house in a while. We spent a very relaxed afternoon there. The weather was almost wintery in the country today – overcast and chilly. The boys played inside with Lego mostly, while Maureen and I chatted and read magazines. I fetched Nick at six, and then we came home for a very quick supper of fish fingers and scrambled eggs.

No comments: