Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Beans!


The big news of the day is that the bean plants are bearing beans!! We went to the garden during our science section to examine a tree, to see what insects we could find living in it and anything else observable on the tree, and it was then that I noticed that there are definitely beans on the plants. I showed the boys, and they were as excited as I! Quite a number of them are growing, so we’ll definitely be able to have a meal of them. I’m so pleased. This is the first time that I have grown something edible. The melon plants are growing slowly but looking good, and I have a tray of potted tomato seeds on the diningroom windowsill, hoping that those will germinate. Fabulous if we can get all these things growing. It’s really cool!!! Often tourists have remarked that it’s strange that more people don’t grow their own vegetables, considering the scarcity of them in the shops, which I think was sitting in the back of my mind as a vaguely guilty feeling.

This afternoon I pottered around the house, donning my figurative handy-man hat to replace a light fitting outside. The light bulb had broken off in the fixture, which had also broken, so the whole bracket thing needed replacing. It was very simple, just a bit fiddly…sort of like changing a plug. I had the electricity switched off, very safely, and was nervous when I flipped the switch up to test it – but it all worked fine. Now we will be able to see our way when we come home from church the back way at night. It was annoying not having that particular bulb working. You might wonder why Nick didn’t do this task…he very firmly handed it over to me, saying that he was sure I know more about electricity than he does. I’m not sure if he’s right about that, but he was running a mile from that business. Give him a bag of cement any day over electrical stuff!

No comments: