Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Garden interest

Caleb was the hero of the day this morning…I was just too late in getting the rubbish outside, and the truck came rumbling past as I was standing on the inside of the alley gate. I got the rubbish outside anyway, and then Caleb went running down the street after them, frantically pointing to our little pile of white bags. The rubbish truck graciously reversed up the street right to the gate to collect our stuff! Caleb was very pleased with his efforts.

After supper (fishcakes from the freezer, scrambled eggs and beans…high protein!), we all wandered about outside in the back, looking at the plants and talking about them and admiring the growth of various things we’ve planted. The melon plants are flourishing in their spot, and there might be another little mango tree coming up where Nick planted a whole mango, or it might be a weed. I picked a bean and ate it today, but I do think they need to grow a bit more. Even so, it was very tasty, and quite a novelty eating something I’vemyself. I set Caleb’s apple seeds in a bottle, but we don’t know if they will germinate…being directly from an apple, they might have been GM’d so as not to propagate. It was really nice being outside together though…Nick mowed the lawn earlier, and it’s looking beautiful, and everything outside just looked good. Being late evening, it was cool and shaded. I think the boys are picking up our sudden enthusiasm for gardening. Caleb is full of ideas for what to do with his apple trees, and putting up fences, and picking his own apples, and so on. Aaron says he loves me so much that he wishes he was a flower so he could give himself to me. He also says funny stuff like “I’m so excited I could just fall over”. Caleb says that Nick (his father) is his best friend.

No comments: