Thursday, September 21, 2006

Missing the RMS

Tonight there is a different ship coming to the island, I forget the name, but it’s American. It’s bringing a surgeon from South Africa, because at present the island is sans surgeon. They flew him to Ascension, and then got him onto this American ship. It’s nice to have this one coming in, since the RMS St Helena will only come back from the UK on about the 15th of October. It’s a strange feeling to know that our lifeline to the world will be gone so long – you sort of feel a bit bereft. Fortunately it only does the UK run twice a year, I think. The rest of the time it’s between Ascension and SA.

I’ve decided to take up a new hobby – scrapbooking!! I’ve been wanting to put together all the bits and pieces from our ship voyage, and various tourist maps and information and things, into a nice presentable format. Last night Maureen gave me a small catalogue for a card/craft shop in the UK, and looking through it this afternoon gave me so many ideas. Suddenly I feel inspired to do a proper scrapbook with all the bells and whistles and fancy papers and punches and embellishments. Up to now I’ve spurned scrapbooking because it seems like such an expensive hobby, but now I’m really keen on it. I think because I have a specific project in mind, rather than trying to do every event in our lives, which seems a bit overwhelming. So it will focus specifically on St Helena and our time here. I’ll pepper it with photos, which I’ll get printed on the island. Unfortunately, there are no craft materials to get me started here! I can start planning my pages in the meantime, but I’ll have to order things and wait to get some sort of outfit together before I can start properly.

No comments: