Friday, August 18, 2006

Muddy hands, chocolate rolls and church progress

We’ve just finished learning about the three states of matter – solids, liquids, gases. I asked Caleb later what the most common state of water is, and he correctly answered “liquid”. We conducted a science experiment this afternoon, the typical one with water. First I froze a little container of water, then after Aaron’s sleep, we took it out and put it in a frying pan, then melted it and boiled it. They were excited to see the different states.

I caught Aaron spreading his muddy hands on the kitchen window, to try get the mud off, see. I walked outside and very calmly asked what on earth he was doing, then ordered him and Caleb (since Caleb was an accomplice) to get Aaron’s hands washed, then wash the windows. This they accomplished very well, so the by-product of Aaron’s affinity for mud was clean windows! I went out at about 11.30 with both boys for bread, and it was just being unpacked at Spar. There was a hungry throng waiting, so instead I opted for rolls. I didn’t feel like the hassle of elbowing my way to the bread trolley and then still having to wait to slice it. Then we went to Queen Mary’s for some reduction sweeties (old stock also means reduced calories), and bought a Wonderbar each for the boys. So for lunch, Caleb says, “I’m asking this very seriously: can we have our chocolate on our rolls?” “Sure”, I said. Why not? Chocolate hotdogs it was for them.

Church progress: the painting is finished, except for one or two spots that look patchy. The front railings have been varnished and look beautiful. The gallery has been emptied, cleaned, scraped, painted and the wood all painted with an anti-white-ant solution. The chicken wire around the windows has all been taken down, and I assume some substitute will be found otherwise the birds will get in. For the most part, the hard work is done, and all that remains is the cleaning up and final touches. Only another week at most, I’m sure. It will be a relief to have church in the chapel again, because every week we have to set out chairs and pews and stuff like that in the schoolroom. Just arriving at church will be nice!

No comments: