Thursday, April 06, 2006

Rain and petrol

We’re all systems go for Caleb’s op tomorrow. He’s a bit scared I think, and says he doesn’t want them to fix his belly button anymore because he doesn’t want them cutting his skin. I guess up until now it’s all been very theoretical, but now that we’re explaining what they’re going to do, it’s a bit too real. He’s also worried that he’s going to feel it, despite our reassurances that he will be put to sleep, because he says that you only don’t feel things when you’re dead! I had to go to the hospital today to meet with the anaesthetist, so she could do a quick check-up to see that he’s healthy for anaesthetic, but waited for an hour, after which time the surgeon saw me, had me sign a consent form, and sent me home. The anaesthetist, Svetlana, happens to live in Pretoria and is here on a locum - small world. She was busy with other anaesthetics, so said she would just do all the vitals tomorrow morning. So a bit of a wasted hour, but no worries. Anyway, who should come calling at about 7.45 pm but Svetlana! She was on call at the hospital but came down to do her checks on Caleb. How’s that for service and care!

I was overcome with joy to find a sellotape dispenser, which I’ve been needing for ages. Wrapping presents is a real hassle when you have to cut little pieces of sticky tape and stick them to something while you’re holding down the paper around the presentation object. I might even go back and buy another one for downstairs, since it was only £1 and came with five rolls of tape! Aaron came wandering into my room when I was gazing contentedly at my dispenser and asked what it was. So I tore off a few pieces and stuck them on him. He looked at me with such indignation and almost shouted, “I’M not a present!!!” I laughed and laughed.

In the news lately is that there is an island-wide hosepipe and sprinkler restriction. Apparently the water situation is critical and there are reserves for only another 50 days, if we have no rain. Surprising, because there has been some good rain lately, but I guess it’s falling in the wrong areas and the island doesn’t have proper catchment facilities. The price of petrol has just gone up by 20% and is now something like 96p per liter. Hearsay is that the airport will definitely not be finished by 2010, if anything by 2012. It might actually get started in 2010.

Nick has a very busy week ahead. He is preaching at all the easter services – Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday (sunrise service and normal services), bible studies, hospital visitation on the 15th, drug awareness talk on Friday…it’s non stop until the 17th, then it’s Caleb’s birthday, then a Good News Club outing on the 19th. He’s going to be plumb tuckered out! He’s busy with prep at the moment, trying to get Sunday’s sermon finished, then tomorrow he can start on next week’s Bible Study, and so it goes. Last night he started his series on Samuel, starting off with Hannah. Very good, and fresh content for me. We had a full house last night, and so much food…but they are not bringing as much sweet stuff anymore, so we had nice left-overs for lunch today – pizza, fishcakes, quiche, pies, eggs…quite a feast.

No comments: