Monday, January 05, 2009

Unity

So we’re four days into the New Year, and this is my fourth photo-of-the-day (hereinafter referred to as PotD). Turns out it’s a lot harder to take photos of something when there is nothing happening to photograph. Anyway, here's yesterday's:
The boys have turned a corner in their vegetable eating and boldly claim not to mind them now. This revolutionizes the way I cook, in that I no longer have to disguise vegetables in stews or pies or one-pot stuff with lots of sauce. I can now have them in plain sight on the plate – last night we had gammon steaks, mashed potato and beans, with not a drop of gravy. The boys’ teeth did not seem to be growing long as they bravely ate the squeaky beans. We’ll see how long this new phase lasts though! Nothing else happened in the day, including watching Narnia: Prince Caspian, which we did not. The person who rented it on Friday night had not yet returned it when we went to the DVD shop at lunchtime, and so Nick went back in the evening and it was still not in. That’s our second strike-out. We’ve booked it again for next Saturday…

Today’s PotD was going to be of Nick battling to open a bottle of grape juice with pliers, but that really would have been Celebrating the Mundane and Meaningless, so I’m using one of the combined service we had at the Salvation Army Hall. We normally have our evening services there, but once a month the Salvation Army has a united service in the evening, so we have to make other arrangements. We forgot completely about it, so by the time we were reminded it was too late to arrange anything else. As it was we had to phone all our people to alert them to an earlier service time. The service was very good, with the SA brass band up front playing the hymns (Aaron had his hands over his ears – we were sitting right behind them). Nick preached the message on a small little portion from Acts 13 about unity and diversification, which was excellent – highlighting the need for a multiplicity of leaders in the church and each member using their gifts.
After the service we drove through town, as we always do – this is the quickest route to Side Path which takes us to Longwood – and noticed that the Christmas lights were still up. I’ve been wanting to photograph the lights every year and never seem to have managed. The first year I didn’t have my camera cable and so couldn’t take many photos; I think the second year’s photos were hopeless, and last year we were away. So tonight I was excited that I had my camera in my bag – Nick obligingly drove the car around while I walked and photo’d.

No comments: