Thursday, January 22, 2009

Disappointed

This week I have been scheduling school to accommodate a half day today. I did some extra bits yesterday, and Nick read a chapter from their read-aloud, so I was all set to sell jewellery late morning. What a blow when the lady phoned from the tourist office to say that it had been drizzling in town, and the sea was too choppy for the passengers of the MV Aurora to disembark. Apparently the big passenger cruise liners have insurance issues with our crude landing steps; if seas are too rough, they don’t allow passengers off at all. I’m sure they were all disappointed not to be able to see this little pile of rock, but even more so were the local traders who had set up stalls around Jamestown, hoping to peddle wares to the ­+2,500 people coming to the island. I decided to go ahead and set up in town anyway – I haven’t sold on a Thursday before, so thought perhaps there might be Thursday people in town who I wouldn’t normally catch. I left here at 11, got to the manse, dropped off my stuff at the tourist office, parked the car, did a bit of shopping which included buying a stylish bucket hat for the forthcoming hours in the sun, then set up my table and was ready by 12. Then I sat. Fortunately I had a homeschool booklet to read on the teaching of mathematics, otherwise I would have been very bored. Not to complain too much though, as I did sell some things. I’m selling again next Friday – hopefully better, as it’s both end of the week and end of the month.

No comments: