Friday, January 23, 2009

Deep thoughts, grotto, building and party

I’ve been thinking about a few things (I have deep thoughts while I’m washing dishes). Presently I have two thoughts of substance in my head. The first is that I enjoy hanging around with people (specifically, female people, since I tend not to hang around with males other than my husband) with whom I can absolutely be myself. I suppose this is a normal thing – really, who wants to spend loads of time with people who put you on your guard – but I like to be with people who will laugh if I use the wrong word and not think I’m an idiot, or with whom I can swap cooking disasters. I have a couple of those very wonderful ladies right here on the island, a few more in South Africa, one tucked away in Pennsylvania, and a few more dotted about the globe. I’m enormously thankful that God has put these ladies in my life. Friendship is a mysterious and valuable thing. The second deep thought is something I’ve always known, but lately it’s becoming more of a forefront matter. It is that God’s grace is sufficient for me (2 Cor 12:9). It is more than a sentiment which applied to Paul; it is a solid truth upon which I can base my convictions that whatever happens, God will sustain me. Linked in with this truth is the doctrine of God’s sovereignty, a favourite of mine – in all things, God is at work.

Well, today has been a quiet day – I like to have quiet days, so long as there aren’t too many of them all strung together. The weather was great early morning so Nick and I walked around Longwood - there are a few little roads to explore, and we can usually get into the expansive fields from any of the roads and thereby back to Piccolo, making a pleasant round-trip.



School went well and the boys have done fabulously with their spelling and writing this week. We finished the book “Red Sails to Capri”…it was a bit of a mystery novel which we all thoroughly enjoyed. Set in Capri, Italy, it was about a mysterious cove housing a cave which the people of Capri had been afraid of for many years. Along came three foreigners who caught wind of the mystery and were determined to find out its secret…the last chapter revealed the surprise, and it turned out to be a true phenomenon! We googled it afterwards and saw pictures of the famous Blue Grotto of Capri. We were all super-excited that the book, which I had assumed to be purely fictional, had basis in fact, and we even watched a short video clip of what our dear characters in the book experienced.


Nick had another building meeting in town with the builder, planner and some other important meeting to discuss the way forward with the repairs. It seems that work can actually begin next week! The first phase will be to repair the archway between the church and schoolroom which needs to support wooden beams running across the schoolroom, before that roof can go on. The poor schoolroom has been standing open these last five months. It was also been suggested that instead of tearing down walls in the church and manse, the loose stones can simply be hammered back into position, wedged in place with smaller stones, and then lime-mortared. This will save unimaginable resources of time and money! We are very excited about this development, which originally came from some experienced Saints, but then was confirmed by the aforesaid Important People who have the last word.

We had a Piccolo Party in the evening. It’s amazing how many words there are beginning with P that go with Piccolo…people, picnic – one can really have fun coming up with silly titles. It was Louise’s 19th birthday on Tuesday, so we were all invited for a bring-and-share style party. It was good! The kids had a ball playing outside at night – not usually a privilege afforded them.

No comments: