Friday, January 02, 2009

The Genesis of 2009

Happy 2009 to all those reading the blog! If you know the Saviour, may it be a God-filled year serving Him. If you can’t yet claim Him as your Father, then may this be the year that He reaches into your life to make you His own! It’s always exciting to be standing at this point of the unknown, on this side of God’s revealed plan for us, as it were. We suspect that this year might bring some big changes, but we have absolutely no idea what the changes will be. We’re hoping to leave the island toward the end of the year, but where to is a mystery still. I love to look back at an elapsed period of time and say “wow, look what God did”.

I can’t say it’s been a very exciting start to the day, but it certainly has been restful. The boys spent a large part of the day outside – we’ve been having the best weather at the moment – I’m up-to-date with the washing, and even tackled the growing pile of ironing this afternoon, so I guess that’s a good way to kick off 2009. Thinking back to 1 January last year, we had the dread feeling of our holiday coming to an end, as we flew to Cape Town on 3rd Jan to board the ship. This day last year, then, we said good bye to Glen and Antje as we parted ways from our mini-holiday experience, then settled in at my parents’ house again for the last few days. We had friends over to lunch and I dropped an entire bottle of mayonnaise on the tiled kitchen floor, shattering it almost under the fridge. But still, it was a good lunch. As I don’t want to relive the 29th of September 2005 when we left SA for the first time, I also wouldn’t want to relive this time last year. The frantic packing to get all the suitcases to the required 20 kg for the flight was almost as bad as the good-byes!

I’ve decided to do a photograph-a-day project this year. This means that every day this year I will be taking a photograph of something. Anyone want to join me in this? It might be of what we did in the day, or something more obscure. It might not even be very good! Every month I will print each photo in a 3x4cm size and paste it into an oversized scrapbook which I’ve prepared. So, to that end, I will be posting the day’s photo on the blog as well with a description should it need one. Today’s photo is of Nick skyping Glen – potentially arb, but they were in the middle of a deep discussion about our future and where in the world to go and how to find out where the needs are.

No comments: