Sunday, August 31, 2008

Weekend

Yesterday was an action day. We left here at 9 to get to town for Good News Club. I was the teacher and we only had a handful of kids. I got a few more things from the manse before it started – more craft stuff, a few more items of clothing for the boys and me, some kitchen things…we’re going to have quite a lot to take back with us when we eventually leave Piccolo! After GNC we went into town for a couple of things. I gave Nick half of my shopping list and I did the other half, although partially unsuccessfully, as I was looking for mats for the bathroom and loo but didn’t find anything. We didn’t dally long in town, as we were due to be helping Jeff and Pam move home. I had offered to provide lunch which turned out to be a bit awkward as I couldn’t make sandwiches so far in advance, but while I was lying awake at 4 am I realized that Friday night’s left-over macaroni would be perfect – we barely touched the second dish! So it worked out well that I had made so much on Friday night. We got to Jeff and Pam to help them move shortly before 12 to a chaos of open boxes and packing tape, so after heating up the macaroni and having lunch, we pitched in and did what we could. Nick loaded up our car and took it while I taped boxes and the boys played on the laptop, although they managed to help a bit too. The moving truck, a flatbed truck they had organized, arriving at 2 pm and took about 60% of their boxes. Nick did two more loads, and then we finally left them at 3 pm. We had an arrangement to be at an 80th birthday party at 3.30, but Nick happened to see the people whose house it was at and when he asked for directions they confirmed that it was actually happening today. Doh! This put us in a bit of a predicament as we had already arranged for Andrew and Jean to have tea with us this afternoon, so Nick phoned and made an alternate arrangement to have tea at Plantation House at 4.30. However, they phoned back later yesterday to cancel altogether as they’d had quite a busy week and so were grateful for an afternoon alone. Anyway, we went home via town again where I found the carpets I wanted, which tie in so well with the colour scheme in the bathroom, and home at last. It has been rainy, cold and foggy in Longwood these last two days.

This morning Nick left as usual for church, although at about 7.45. It will be a relief for him when Ladder Hill Road opens this week, cutting down on his travelling time for church because of fetching Donald and Edith. While Nick was out I made a start with sorting the new beads, which is a mammoth task – not only are there lots to be sorted, but I need to also integrate my own stash! I made a chicken casserole for lunch, but didn’t give it enough time to cook, only putting it into the oven at 12.10 – what was I thinking? Nick was home at 12.30, starving, and lunch was nowhere near ready. He had some chips and settled on the couch for a nap while the boys and I carried on with the beads. We all started whispering when we heard some gentle snoring coming from Nick’s head region! Lunch was finally ready shortly before 2 pm – so late! I apologized to all for the lateness thereof. It was quite nice though – potatoes, carrots and chicken which I baked in an Ina Paarman creamy sundried tomato sauce. After lunch there was just time to pack away all the beads, sorted or not, and wash some of the dishes, before heading out to the birthday tea. We didn’t really know many people there, other than Audrey herself who is very deaf, and Enid and Harold. We were the only ex-pats. It was nice though, and the hostess attends the SDA church – she definitely sounded saved! Nick chatted with the men in the kitchen, and I just stuck to his side. At 5 we were ready to leave, although the first to leave, and on the way home we stopped in at a clothing shop (open on a Sunday, unusually) which is closing up and selling off their stock at 30% discount. Nick wanted a leather jacket, and found a super-duper thick and heavy biker’s jacket which had already been reduced to ₤25, still less 30%. You would normally pay about R1000 for something like that!! I also found a leather jacket in cream, with a pearly finish, very plain, and a velvety pink jacket. Aaron chose a yellow short-sleeved smart shirt and Caleb didn’t want anything other than a jacket which we wouldn’t buy him. We nearly ran late for church, as we only left the shop after 6, then still had to get home to Longwood and back to town. We got to Pillings at 6.36 and fortunately no one had arrived yet. Nick played the guitar on his own tonight. We had quite a good turnout, which was encouraging to see. The message was the second half of the Ethiopian Eunuch section in Acts, which was excellent and quite funny at points. Caleb wants to become a Jew, but we would prefer that he gets baptized! The Sandy Bay service this morning was recorded and broadcast tonight at 7, and I told Nick that I thought it had been a good one for broadcast. After church we were invited to have a cup of tea and chocolate cake with Pam and Maddy at their new house in town – it’s actually the Salvation Army house, attached to the hall. It’s a lovely place, very comfortable. They’ve already unpacked the majority of their boxes and it’s looking quite homey.

No comments: