Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Tooth fixed...and...broken again


I’ve just finished putting together the museum book, after printing out the little bits yesterday. It was a lot of work. Now that it’s done, it looks really lovely, even though it’s only 2/3 of the size it should ultimately be, and it’s come out quite skew…still a good indication of what it will be like. Nick is also impressed.

Yesterday morning I was at the dentist at my usual time. I was the second patient to go in, and explained the history of the tooth (even though he has all my records). He probed the tooth quite a lot, wiggling the loose part which was painful for the gum, and I kept expecting him to pull a big chunk out. He didn’t though, and after a bit of thought he decided to repair the crack instead of removing half the tooth and trying to build it up again. I am very impressed with his dentistry skills. He more or less stuck it together using two different compounds. I was on top of the world when I got home, feeling very relieved to have it sorted out, with no extraction and not even an anaesthetic! School ran a little late but we got through the work, and I must congratulate Caleb on his improved attitude. He is back to the normal Caleb who works diligently and gets on with things. I did a timed drill this morning in Maths, and there were no complaints or playing around – both boys finished in the allotted time. There have been no tears in the last two days. True, there have been general complaints and the usual silliness, but that is much easier to handle than the switching off. I was planning on doing a craft with my girls in the Monday group, so didn’t prepare any talk or anything. The girls came unprepared though, so we couldn’t do the craft of covering tins to make pencil pots. Instead, we spoke about scrapbooking! It was a very unspiritual session, but I don’t mind that once in a while - it’s still bridge-building! I ran them through the basics of scrapping, and told them all the things that they can get on the island if they want to take it up. They had a look at the five scrapbooks I have going. I popped home to put the supper in the oven (tuna bake with the white onion soup, which I had prepared before the group), and went back to the schoolroom with some jelly babies for us. I bit into mine and ‘crack’ went the tooth. Quite sore, too. I felt around cautiously but there doesn’t seem to be anything loose, so I’m not sure what to do about it. I can’t chew on it at all because it hurts, but I’m going to just give it time and see if it settles. If there is a crack, then it will eventually fall apart because germs will get in and it will rot. Until then, I’ll keep it in my mouth! I don’t think there’s anything more the dentist can do with it. It’s just annoying that it broke again on the very day it was so well fixed up.

Today has been a quiet, at-home day, other than popping out to town for bread and a few goodies. I bought fresh mince at the Star – I don’t think I’ve ever bought mince on the island that hasn’t been frozen, except for tuna mince! Tonight will be spaghetti bolognaise.

No comments: