Sunday, August 03, 2008

Dangerous food!



Nick and I browsed through a dictionary this afternoon – I tried to stump him with words that I thought he wouldn’t know, but it turns out we have quite a large vocabulary. Some may think this exercise would be prosaic, but it wasn’t at all banal! I even found a use for ‘pugnacious’ later in the evening. Tammy’s second album was launched yesterday, 1 August, and to celebrate we hosted a BBQ. Darrin and Sharon were our first guests to arrive, with Tammy, Gavin and the kids arriving soon after, and Danny arrived some time later. I had made a focaccia bread, but it stayed in the oven a bit long and got overcooked, so I renamed them ‘cheese sticks’. I was just enjoying one of them when I heard a ‘crack’ in my mouth – no prizes for guessing where I will be at 8.15 on Monday morning. The good news is that it’s not the tooth that was fixed up on Friday – no, no, this is the other root filled one that was fixed up about two months ago. It cracked right down the middle of the whole tooth, so that the inside part is loose. I felt like crying but that wouldn’t help, so I didn’t. I wasn’t much inclined to eat after that, because I can’t apply any sort of chewing pressure to the tooth as it kind of flaps about and hurts my gum. I had to moosh the food around on the right side of my mouth, trying to be careful with the new filling. Needless to say I’m quite discouraged about the whole thing, but have to put it in the hands of our Sovereign God who even knows about such trivial things as teeth. The rest of the evening was very pleasant though. The grown-ups sat around the braai area, and Gavin had brought a huge fluorescent light which was perfect. Strangely, no insects were attracted to the light, or the food – not even one little miggie. Possibly because it had rained earlier in the day? Harley and Katie, Tammy’s two, were shy at first but warmed up to our boys and they seemed to have a good time playing, right up until everyone left at 22.30.

No comments: