Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Get a quote to make a book or make a book to get a quote?

Aaron has a decidedly loose tooth which will come out in the next few days. I wailed at the thought – my lovely-toothed smiley boy is going to look like a ragged-tooth shark for the next few years! And we had a mince stew for supper, which was not called a mince stew otherwise the boys wouldn’t have liked it. I had to announce that we were having Granny’s Stew for supper, which was then very exciting for them. It doesn’t matter to them whether it tastes or looks like Granny’s stew – I think the important thing is that it has mince in it. Anyway, it turned out very well, especially because I cooked it quite long until the potatoes were just going mushy. Nick said he didn’t want to eat Granny Stew.

School today was all fine. Caleb is reading Mr Twiddle to me, and he enjoys the stories by Enid Blyton of this muddled-up man who hangs his umbrella in the workshed and puts his hat in the dustbin and so on. He reads with a fair modicum of fluency. I had to nip out to town for biscuits at tenzees, and also got a few other groceries, so our day ran a little late, but we were finished before 1. I needed to go to the museum to show Lucy the final page which I finished off last night – the inside front cover with the acknowledgements and stuff, so I took the boys and we went at about 2. Lucy and I decided, spur of the moment, to pay a visit to the island printers to see if they could quote us to print one copy of the book, as a prototype. The feedback from the bank is that they want a quote for printing the books before they decide to finance it or not. We’d like to get one done so that we can send it away to potential publishers. I think it will be a long process ahead of us still. Anyway, the printer was just leaving as we got there, so he had a quick look at one of the pages, and we’ve scheduled an official meeting for Friday afternoon.

No comments: