Friday, May 23, 2008

Holey moley

Despite feeling quite ‘out of it’ on the painkillers I’m taking, I am still feeling quite uncomfortable after today’s ordeal with the removal of three moles. My appointment was for 11, but she could only get to me at about 11.45 as she was the only doctor on duty at the hospital and had a few delays and problems. I had been reading a book in the meantime so I didn’t mind at all, although it gave me more time to be nervous! Finally she was ready, and I had to lie on my stomach on the operating bed with my head to the side, and she could begin with the first mole on my neck. It was really awful – not painful, apart from the anaesthetic injection, but just thoroughly gross with the tugging I could feel. I think that the thought of what was going on made it much worse, but it’s difficult to think happy thoughts when you have this procedure going on so close to your face. I felt somewhat inclined to cry at the horror of it all, but rebuked myself for being a wimp and prayed hard! When she finished and instructed me to roll over onto my back, I saw the pool of blood that had collected on the bed which was pretty shocking considering that she had been swabbing the hole continuously during the cutting out. The armpit ones weren’t quite as bad, although I could feel a sting and must have winced, so she gave me another injection and it was better after that. We got into a gospel discussion during the cutting of those two moles which really helped to take my mind off it. After the second and third offenders were eradicated, I was cleaned up and the wounds dressed, and then I went up to the dispensary for my painkillers. By then they were really stinging and I just wanted to get home. I had to phone Nick first to fetch me, which he did quite promptly with both the boys. They had all been to the corner shop while I was out (Nick had to borrow money from the boys), where Caleb bought me a ‘sweetie pie’ chocolate which he wrapped for me.

The baby dove is still doing well, and ate quite satisfactorily today, pooing enough too. I bought some baby cereal stuff which I think it is enjoying. The sun shone most of the day today.

No comments: