Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Special enough day?

It’s been some hot here again. No more rain, and lots of sun. Our house isn’t bad at all downstairs, but one can’t really sit around in the lounge all day! I noticed Nick doing some reading in there in the afternoon though. He put in quite a lot of time with the building project today. His hands are really taking quite a beating from the concrete, despite that he’s using gloves – it’s eating little holes into his fingers. We had a pretty good time in school. The boys had to do a bit of creative writing, first fleshing out a sentence with adjectives and descriptions, and secondly using a simile. Caleb’s first one was, from the sentence “Jim ran to the stand”, something like “Jim ran as fast as his pitiful legs could carry him. His shoes were worn, but he had to go on.” Aaron’s simile, kicking off with “I am mad”, was “I am as mad as a crocodile whose food has been taken away from it”. I was delighted with their efforts and excellent creativity, and so they both earned a “well done” sticker.

In the afternoon Aaron was feeling sad that nothing special was happening in the day, and I felt so sorry for him as he was crying about the woeful plainness of the day, that I took the boys out for an ice-cream. We were hoping that the nice soft-serve trailer would be open, but it wasn’t. The Star had a hopeless array of frozen lollies, so we tried Tinkers which was as bad if not worse, but we settled on two lollies anyway. These they ate on the bench across the road, but such a sticky mess of dripping juice was made that we had to go to the public convenience to wash off. It wasn’t really a fun outing, but Aaron confirmed that it was special enough. Then I had a hair appointment at 3.30 at the Consulate hairdresser. I made the appt today, quite spontaneously, as I’m rather sick of my hair and needed it properly done before I took the scissors to it myself in desperation. After 40 minutes of scissor cutting and razor trimming into the edges and whatever other modern methods are used, the hairdresser produced something that is very wearable, quite a bit shorter, and feels good.

No comments: