Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Rain, rain, rain, and Girls for God

Two things to report on today. The first was that we had the heaviest rain today that we’ve experienced since being on the island. To say that it rained hard is like saying that Methuselah was very old. It seemed like the entire Atlantic Ocean was dumped upon us in a very short space of time. Our bedroom ceiling was leaking in three places, but fortunately the drips could be caught with only two containers. We found two more leaks in the passage, one in Nick’s office, and the rain was entering the house downstairs as it dripped down the outside wall. The gutter outside our driveway got blocked, so water was gushing around the top of it in a wide muddy river. Further upstream, the torrent took away part of the concrete that makes up the bridge over the gutter into the schoolyard, where we park the car, so that a chunk of it on one side has been washed away, and the steel girders are visible in places. Fortunately Nick could still manoeuvre the car out, once the mud had dried a bit. The sun actually came out though during the morning, although we had another very hard shower later during the morning.

The second thing is that I had my first girls’ group today. I thought no one was coming, as none had arrived by about 4.05, but they all got there shortly thereafter. Only one girl from the sleepover didn’t come, but she wasn’t at school today either – the girls reckoned she slept late and so didn’t worry to go to school! I want the group to be fairly relaxed and discussional, rather than me preaching at them, but since they didn’t have much to say today I did a short teaching about faith without actions – that they can’t say they are Christians, but not have a life-style to prove it. I’ve assigned them the task of reading some Bible each day, and tracking what they’ve read, to show me next time we meet in a fortnight (we’re not meeting next Monday due to it being Easter). I think overall it was pretty good, despite the blank stares. Some of the girls really seem to be interested. One girl told me that after my tirade on Friday night, she deleted all her music off her MP3 player!

No comments: