Friday, March 07, 2008

Fish repopulation

Terribly hot again today, and sticky, which is worse. School lately has been going really well, and I think we’re all enjoying it. I got the boys to write their words with sticks of drawing charcoal, but they didn’t really like it as it squeaked on the paper and put them on edge! So far the sugar writing has been the most popular in the “mix it up” category. In the afternoon I had my craft class, which went well as it always has with this class. The teacher in charge said that next week will be my last one with this class, and then after that I’ll switch back to the first class for a new set of crafts. Hold on, I told her, I didn’t sign up for another round! The head teacher came by a few minutes later, having been told the news that one of their valued volunteers would be falling off the list, but she didn’t try to pressure me into staying, simply thanked me very much for what I’d done. I told her I’d consider doing it again at the end of the year, but for now I need a break. After the class I had time to ice the second carrot cake, defrosted now, in time for threezees, where we all sat outside with our tea and cake, admiring Nick’s freshly mowed lawn.

It was reported on the news this week that there is a glimmer of hope for the fishing industry now, as a few hundred kgs of small tuna were caught. They were pulling in a few tons at a time, so this is not good compared, but is the first relatively big catch in about four months.

No comments: