Sunday, January 02, 2011

No more repining!

Loved Nick's morning message from 2 Peter 1:5-9 - Peter encourages us to stand firm and guard against being ineffective and unproductive by adding to our faith goodness, adding to that knowledge, to knowledge self-control (I will never stop fighting my inward corruptions!), perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love. It was a blessed, Spirit-inspired sermon! One of the hymns we sang in the morning service was "He Leadeth Me" - an old Sankeys hymn which we sang frequently on St Helena. One of the verses was particularly relevant for me:
"Lord I would clasp Thy hand in mine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ‘tis my God that leadeth me."
This is my prayer then: not to murmur or be discontent no matter what happens or how I feel. Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
We called in at the Phillipsies in the afternoon for a quick show and tell; their company invariably has a analeptic effect on us and today was no different. After the evening service we joined them at the Bay for the evening Carnival Concert with Suzanne Prentiss who was quite enjoyable - definitely great stage presence! We hadn't intended to watch the "Queen of the Carnival" beauty pageant but ended up moving onto the grass to join Bronwyn and Hannah who were there; Bronwyn and I had fun doing an analysis of each contestant and their attire. In the end we very much liked the winning choice whose dress was entirely modest. The Temuka Militaires were out in full regalia to help the judge present the prizes.

No comments: