Monday, January 17, 2011

A friend's great aunt's lacy cookies' delight

Ah, good old @home holidays...not as much fun as being away somewhere or spending time with friends, but good for catching up on 'stuff'! My passport is expiring in May and with that my NZ work permit in April. Yikes! Got on to the application this morning, hopefully leaving myself enough time as it needs to be processed in Pretoria. Definitely a matter for much prayer. No opportunity to sleep in this morning as the boys' secret plan unfolded...they had asked me to leave my cellphone in their room with the alarm set for 6.30, but in their excitement they woke themselves ahead of schedule and got up just after 6. At 6.30 I was invited to the diningroom for coffee and toast - bless them, they certainly earned their reward points. I didn't complain about the time of day or that there was so much milk in the coffee it was barely lukewarm. And I also didn't point out that I normally have muesli for breakfast and not toast with no toppings! They're such lovely boys. During the morning we had a surprise visit from the Hughes family, having had little opportunity to chat last night. Dafydd pastors the church up north, and we were thrilled that they had made time in their holiday to call in. The chilly drizzle let up in the afternoon and by 4 pm the sun was shining and it was glorious outdoors again. Nick got to more wood chopping and mowed the lawn; I made pizza for tea and baked a batch of cookies. The original recipe is from the great aunt of my friend Genevieve; I've modified it slightly so am posting it here too; I shall call them simply "Aunty's Lacy Cookies". And I'm issuing a warning as did Gen - they are highly moreish and sweet enough to hurt if you have cavities!

110g butter
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Melt the butter in a large microwaveable mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Cover baking sheets with baking paper. Drop small drops spaced far apart (cookies will spread). Bake at 180C for 10-12 mins.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

I enjoy reading your translated version and seeing your matching photo!