Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Holey moley

After school we didn’t have much to do at home (I thought I had used all available boxes so couldn’t do any more packing), so we headed off to town. Steve and Maureen were busy in the manse with the bathroom floor which is now looking very smart with a new flooring of cream-coloured vinyl (aka vanilla linoleum – try saying that a few times). Shortly before 2.30 Nick took me up to the hospital and then ran the boys down to the pool. I didn’t have a long wait before seeing the doctor who did my mole removals. On the first one he gave me a local anaesthetic and then started cutting almost immediately. I told him I could feel it but he assured me I would feel some sensation. The sensation was rapidly becoming that of pain though and I cried! What a baby. It was really sore though. For the next one he gave me a higher dose of anaesthetic but it was still painful, so he kept upping the dose until the fourth mole was almost painless – still not entirely numb though. I was trembling by the time he was through, but thankfully the whole process was so quick. I had arranged with Nick that he fetch me at 3.30, but I was finished by 3.10 so decided just to walk down the road to the manse. Felt a bit conspicuous with four huge bandages adorning my iodine-stained arms and by the time I got home they were really hurting. Nick was just about ready to leave but just needed to help Trevor and Steve a bit with the bell, which they can now ring using a rope from inside the chapel again – so that’s all done. We collected the boys from the pool and came home. The boys have been very helpful and concerned – Aaron opened the car door and Caleb offered to help me put my jersey on when I was feeling chilly. So sweet. Nick made me tea and then organized supper of smoked chicken on baguettes, and then washed up afterwards. Being incapacitated definitely has its benefits! The mole holes weren’t stitched – just dressed and now they must heal on their own. Not sure what kind of scars that will leave but who cares.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

Oh my, you do look a bit injured there! Hope you are feeling more comfortable!