Friday, January 18, 2008

Thief

This morning I found a curious thing in the kitchen, as I was putting the dishes away – for Bible Study on Tuesday, Jean had brought a selection of Roses’ chocolates, and of course there were several left over, which we put into a little container and then forgot to put away in the cupboard last night. So, this morning, there was a still-wrapped chocolate in the draining rack. I puzzled over this a while, until I took a closer look and saw the tell-tale nibbled corners, and shredded foil wrapper also lying about. Evidently during the night, a sneaky little mouse had chosen one out the open tub, then run with it all along two lengths of the kitchen counter, before settling comfortably in the draining rack behind a dinner plate, where it had most probably delighted in its unexpected find. Sadly, it was one of our favourites!!

My priority for the morning was to get my craft prepared, as today I was back at the school. Fortunately I still had the necessary supplies left over from the first group’s card making session, so I just had to cut the cardboard in half, score fold lines, cut out some other bits of paper, and punch out various shapes in a variety of colours. The boys were hovering while I was busy, and then asked if they could also make cards, so I gave them some board and whatever other supplies they needed, and let them loose. They had a marvellous time cutting up miniscule bits of paper and gluing and stapling them together in a most unusual arrangement! We were due at the coffee shop at 10.45 to meet with Maureen and Elza. Although the boys were bored mostly, I enjoyed chatting with the ladies. In sympathy for the boys we didn’t stay too long, but left again at about 12ish. I dropped both of them off at home on my way to Half Tree Hollow for bread and a few goodies – at last got hold of some onions, as well as more chicken breast fillets, and some rolls and 35p (reduced) caramel aeros. Then it was home and lunch, after which the boys wanted to make new necklaces, so that kept us busy until I had to go to the school. We finished both necklaces – a masculine combination of antique gold findings, and bone beads, on brown cord. The craft class was really not too bad today. I have a new group of children for the next 10 weeks, so of course I can just repeat the crafts I did with the last lot, saving in planning if not preparation. The boys went to play outside while supper was in the oven, amusing themselves by throwing sand at the tree where all the bees live. Why on earth they decided to do that is beyond me, but they came in for their bath absolutely filthy, but thankfully unharmed, and in very high spirits.

No comments: