Monday, January 07, 2008

More from the ship


Last night the ship started rocking, and the weather changed to grey skies. The rocking was worse during the night, and this morning I was feeling a bit green. Nick and the boys were fine, mostly, although Caleb also said he thought he might vomit. We decided to bypass breakfast in the diningroom, and headed instead to the sun lounge, so that if need be we could dash outside with our puke bags. Fortunately we were fine, and managed to get some cheese scones, yoghurt, and juice into us. I did a load of washing and tumbledrying during the day, but for the most part I was on my bed. The boys are having a marvellous time playing with the kids onboard, mostly in the playroom. Caleb told me the other day that the best moisturiser is Dove. He says he can tell me lots of things because he watched a lot of TV ads in SA. During the morning, we discovered the reason for the ship’s sudden instability – the stabilisers had been lifted out the water yesterday! Apparently this helps with the speed, as they are trying to make up a bit of time. Presently we are scheduled to arrive in James’ Bay on Tuesday noon. However, the stabilisers were put down again during the morning, and so it was a lot smoother again. During the afternoon we actually sat outside on the sundeck – there was hardly a breath of wind other than a mild occasional breeze, and it was warm and delicious. We took our tea outside and read. I’m reading an excellent book by Ginger Plowman, “Don’t make me count to three” – which deals with discipline, and training the hearts of our children. I was wondering what had happened to my two lovely, compliant boys over the course of the holiday, but realized that Nick and I were the actual culprits – we have let our hands-on parenting slide! Apart from neglecting devotions, we have also not been exercising proper biblical reproof and correction, so it’s no wonder that they were getting more and more out of hand. This is currently being remedied.

No comments: