Saturday, August 11, 2007

Wind, seeds and wall

I rushed through school this morning to get to a haircut appointment by 11.30, just saving the science experiments for after lunch. By the time I got home, Nick had finished his sermon prep, so we asked if I’d like to go out for lunch. I was hoping he’d suggest it! We went to Sally’s, and then ate at Castle Gardens. The weather looked promising, and it held while we were eating, but started getting cold and windy again while we were there. Home soon after, where we did our experiments. We’re doing experiments with air, so we made a rocket balloon, sailboat and wind winch. The wind winch was quite interesting, where you blow on the propeller and it winds up a thread with a paper clip attached to it, up a straw. I think you have to see it to understand! I’m doing the Sunday School lesson this Sunday, and the lesson is about Nicodemus, and new life, and seeds of life…so we will be pasting two apple shapes together with seeds inside. I collected acacia seeds later in the afternoon, after popping out for milk and rolls, from the house next door. Actually, this became a family mission, as Nick was outside too, so did the legwork of getting up on the wall and along the neighbour’s wall. The boys also climbed up on our boundary wall, and then Nick let them walk along the top of the wall as it’s quite broad, with supervision. After I had enough seeds and pods, I let the packet fall to the ground, where all the seeds fell out on to the ground. Doh! I had to pick them all up, to make sure that we don’t have any little acacia trees growing in our back yard!

No comments: