Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!

Have been enjoying amazing weather the last few days - we thought that with summer being over it would be pretty miserable until November, forgetting that autumn has some excellent weather still. This is a view from the studio which houses me for part of the day...there is a girl sitting in an upstairs window across the road with her legs dangling out - perhaps she was enjoying her lunch break in the sun? Nick and I have been wanting to get out for some sunset shots for a while now, and had planned to go this evening but I thought I had missed the timing in getting tea ready too late. We had partially abandoned the idea but took another look at the 6 pm sky and decided to make a dash to the northern wetlands. The clouds were great but the colours starting fading and we left. Bad idea but when you're in the moment you don't have amazing retrospective vision...we stopped in at the garage on the way home for bread and while I was in the non-moving queue I looked out of the window to wave at Nick who pointed at the sky...gasp, shock - it was flaming red!!! I deposited the bread back on the shelf and hurried to the car...Nick drove {very} fast to get to a suitable spot and I had the advantage of photographing while we drove. Hugely frustrating that we hadn't stuck around with some decent scenery - this sky would have been spectacular reflected in a bit of marshy wetland! This must have been the most incredible sunset ever though...huge tongues of cloud in the most brilliant hues of red. I've left this first photo completely naked (unedited) - no trick photography here!

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

That is simply an amazing, amazing sky!
I often drive the "get away car", as we call it, for Kyle to get his camera ready and be able jump out at just the right spot. Last summer he was taking some night time shots and I would stay in the car (motor off/lights off so he could use the roof as a tripod) looking for cars to come our direction so I could quick turn the lights back on so we didn't get run into. Thankfully although my photographs aren't great I do understand light and where to take shots...making me a helpful assistant :-)

Hazel Beckett said...

It truly looks like a ball of fire hanging in the sky. Brilliant photography!