Sunday, June 22, 2008

Yet another great kitchen failure

Yesterday hardly bears mentioning – I may as well go back to a previous blog from a Saturday and copy and paste it! We had Good News Club, went to town, had ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch, watched a DVD, and the rest of the day we were just at home together. I had to go out quickly in the evening for biscuits for today’s pudding, as we’re going out to lunch. I couldn’t find any tennis biscuits at the Star though and didn’t feel like going up to Thorpes in the dark and drizzle which was 6.30 pm, so the pudding was doomed from the start (more about that just now). Oh, winter officially started yesterday, although one would never know that we’re in winter. One of our ex-pat friends said this is like an English summer.

This morning I cut my hair, as it was looking and feeling ‘uncut’. I had had in mind to go back to the hairdresser at the consulate, as he did such a good job, but he is leaving the island with his young son as his wife has been cheating on him with one of the French labourers involved in the rock stabilisation project. It’s pretty sad really, in that they were one of the few young families where the mother and father were actually married. His wife is staying – she is the other hairdresser at the consulate, but I wasn’t sure if they would be having business as normal when their lives are falling apart. So, being too impatient to see what happens, I took scissors to locks again myself. It turned out shorter than I had anticipated, although I don’t really know what I was expecting. I can’t imagine that Nick is going to be very complimentary when he gets home! Since we’re going out to lunch today, I offered to bring the pudding, which I had planned would be lemon custard fridge-tart. Sadly, when I came to making it this morning, both tins of condensed milk I had in the cupboard had expired in February…the contents were light brown and thick. I’m not sure if condensed milk would naturally caramelize on its own eventually, but this finding makes me wonder! Not being very good at improvising as far as cooking goes, I’ve just opened a tin of peaches, and poured the custard into a jug. The custard was supposed to be really thick for the original pudding, but what do you know? I didn’t have quite enough custard powder left in the jar, so it wouldn’t have worked in the pudding either. Turned out to be great for pouring though!

No comments: