Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Nick apparently a heretic

I’ve had a super-productive day today. Must be from the vitamins that Elza gave me yesterday! This morning I wanted to really knuckle down for some scrapping, but I had some housework to do before I could get started, and then had to faf about in my room for a while, tidying and sorting, so it was really only after the morning news that I got started. Worked for about an hour, then went downstairs for tenzees, to hang up washing, and I even made a batch of date squares. Back up to my room after that, and I finished the page! I’m sure that was the fastest I’ve done – probably about two hours of work. Lunch was a sandwich and boiled egg for the boys, although they only ate the white, so I chopped up the yolk and added it to last night’s left-over tuna, with some onion and mayo, for Nick and me. That was tasty. After lunch I set to work on the next scrapbook page for a short while, which will be called “Bonnie Wee Bairn”, featuring Nick as a 2-year-old in Scotland. I needed to get to town during the afternoon, because I wanted to check for fruit at the Star. Aaron came along, and we bought two bags of apples, four loose apples, two grapefruit and two tomatoes. Quite a marvellous find. I also bought some cheese which was quite inexpensive, and a few other bits and pieces I needed. I was only home again long enough to pack away the groceries before Nick and I went out to take Steve’s car home. I was very nervous (being a MOM) to drive down the track, which wasn’t as bad as the last time we were there, but still sufficiently muddy and watery to cause me to assume the typical driving posture of a nervous driver – you’ve all seen it – sitting forward in the seat, neck craned as far over the steering wheel as possible, and peering over the bonnet. To add to this anxiety, a big black dog came running at the car from somewhere, barking at me in a frighteningly ferocious manner. This didn’t aid my concentration, but thankfully I didn’t slide off the track with my mud-enlarged tyres into the field where I could have been crushed by a surprised bull. You know how the mind works. We quickly offloaded a few boxes that Nick had collected for Steve from the docks earlier this morning, checked the house to see that everything was in order, then went home again. The boys had been playing on their own, being fairly used to being home alone. It was time for threezees at that point, which was raisin bread and an apple, and then I needed to get the macaroni together. Once that was done and ready to go into the oven, I cleaned the kitchen, took the washing in and remade the boys’ beds. I actually was going to start with the vacuuming in the lounge, but just as I was lugging the vacuum cleaner into there, Harry and Peter arrived at the front door. They visited with Nick for about half an hour, and had a good chat. Caleb, of his own accord, got cups down and a tray out, so I could make tea for the gents. I got on with the rest of the housework after they had left. Aaron, of his own accord, got all the chairs out in readiness for tonight’s bible study. Usually we only do this after supper, but today the boys got a spurt of helpfulness in them, which was rewarded with a sticker on the chart!

Come back with me to yesterday. I was out more than I was at home! I did a bit of housework and pottering in the early morning, then after I had hung up the washing I went to town quickly, then to Elza. I took my museum scrapbook to show her – she wanted to see it before Lucy takes ownership of it. She loved it all which was very encouraging. We had a good visit – as always, it’s difficult to get away. After a quick lunch, I had my last beading afternoon for a few months, as Liz leaves for her UK holiday on Sunday. Again, it was just the two of us, and again, we had a good time together. I fetched Maddy from school again, stopping at the HTH grocery store on the way home. The boys were pleased to have her with them for a short time again, as she really engages them so well with various games. I didn’t have any supper preparation as it was just going to be tuna and chips, so in the between time I read over the chapter for the girls’ group, and then quickly went to town again.

Our water has gone clear again – such good news for us! It actually tastes a whole lot better too. It’s a relief to bath in clean water.

Tammy’s new CD has come back to the island after being reproduced in the UK – i.e. the master copy that Nick engineered was taken to the UK, where lots of copies were made, and the sleeve insert done etc etc. He saw it today for the first time, and brought home a copy – it looks really professional. Tammy’s photos are really good, and the overall effect is just so excellent. It will only be released in four weeks though, as Darrin and Sharon need to set up their website for internet orders and that sort of thing. I’m sure Tammy is just bursting to have it on the shelves!

A big news item for us at the moment is one surrounding the potential baptism of one of our ladies. She is an Anglican “by birth”, but has been attending our services for some time and feels convicted to obey the Lord’s commandment to be baptized. However, a complication arose in that if she is baptized, she will not be permitted a burial in the Anglican cemetery, according to one of the priests. This is a big problem because her sister is buried there, and being a sentimental soul, she wants a spot next to her sister. Nick has taken it up with the bishop, a locum as the regular Bishop has just left for a holiday. The bishop informed Nick that it is heresy to rebaptize a person, but was not interested to discuss the Scriptures with Nick. This might even need to go into the temporary Bishop’s “pastoral report”!

No comments: