Monday, July 23, 2007

I'm a lumberjack...


Sunday afternoon, and I’m sitting in the car at Knollcombes, while Nick and the boys are chopping wood! The reason we’re here is a long story – an old couple in our church, a brother and sister, have been battling with the winter cold, as their stove broke down some time ago. They were using a wood burner to heat the house. Nick found out about this, and set the ball rolling, along with one of our church men who works for social services, to get a new stove with the government’s help. A sponsor came forward from our congregation who funded half the cost of the stove, with social services paying the remainder. The stove has now been bought and installed, and they have just a little bit of wood to keep them going. Nick is therefore trying to chop down dead trees here. The boys are trying to help, although it seems Caleb wasn’t watching what he was doing with the axe and took a blow to the leg – no blood, no crying, so I guess he’s okay. Aaron’s given up already, so must be wandering around over there. I can just see them.

Good News Club yesterday was okay, although the numbers are dwindling. Last week I got really upset with the way they are behaving during the singing, which should be a time of worship, so yesterday Nick told them that if they misbehaved during the singing, there would be no games afterwards. This helped some! Nick is still on the “Our Father” prayer, and it’s going well. After the teaching we have a bit more singing, and then offer the options to the kids of football, twister, foursquare and drawing. They can do whichever of those they want, and usually the same kids do the same activities each week. I played some twister with the girls, and because I’m taller than they are, I usually win – it’s tricky though, but loads of fun! After the club I ran Keisha home, just up to the top of Ladder Hill, then I went out for a spot of shopping, taking Aaron with me as he begged to come. Nick wanted to stay home to do some things on the computer, so we didn’t do our usual “let’s all go to town and choose a DVD” Saturday thing. I bought some baking goodies – a new baking tray, a loaf tin, cookie cutters, and then some ingredients too, as well as some kitchen towels. All part of the kitchen project. After lunch we watched my delightful choice of DVD with the boys, “Back to the Secret Garden”, which Nick rolled his eyes at but watched anyway. It was very slow and quite boring, but a sweet story nonetheless. When Nick left for Tammy, I baked…and I baked…I finally made a banana bread, which Nick keeps begging me to make, and then a batch of peanut butter and cherry cookies. It’s really satisfying to finally be baking again, and the efforts are very much appreciated, although Aaron doesn’t like the oaty biscuits so much. I finished off making paper poppies for the windowsill and those are all in their bottles, looking really colourful. I made a stunning effort with supper, producing slightly burned fish fingers and chips.
Today’s lunch was fish (grouper) with savoury rice. Aaron’s comment during lunch was “We’re actually eating flesh – eeeuurgh!! What’s flesh?”

No comments: