Friday, June 20, 2014

A Magic Celebration of Symphonic Marching and Overtures

The one thing I enjoy even more than going to watch an orchestra play, is playing in an orchestra. I love the weekly rehearsals; I love being part of a music group; I love having to push myself to learn tricky or complicated bits in a piece; I love watching those who play really well to see what they do; and I particularly love getting dressed up for a formal concert! The theme of this evening's concert was "Formal Classics" - as such we were required to look a little sharper than the usual uniform of green polos and black pants.
I made my dress, which featured a train which floated out the back when I walked.  I felt the part!!
We played a selection from the baroque, classical and romantic periods; we particularly enjoyed Smetana's "The Moldau" and Schubert's "Rosamunde Overture". 
Great to have some friends come along and watch!
We had around 40 in the orchestra for this evening's performance - a pretty good number.
Nick captured the whole setting from the stage of the Waimataitai School Hall.  Not a bad venue accoustically.

No comments: