Sunday, November 23, 2008

...Friday, Saturday

Friday morning we managed to have another almost-normal school day. I showed the boys on the calendar what forthcoming events there are – next week we have the cruise ship coming on Friday, so I am selling jewellery and Nick will be busking with Steve, so school won’t happen on that day. The following week we have a coffee morning on Wednesday, child clinic on Thursday, and Aaron’s birthday on Friday, so a couple more school days will be skipped. It’s okay though – since we are so near the end of the school year we can simply catch up in what would be our first week of holidays. We did all our school yesterday except for science, which was an experiment, before going out to Sally’s for lunch. It’s been quite grey in Longwood this last week or so, and so we really wanted some good town weather which we did have – we ate at Castle Gardens as per our usual Friday-thing. As soon as we got home from town Nick and I worked on the cover for the St Helena book he is going to get published. The bank has approved funding for ₤1000, so the church only needs to pay another ₤300-something for the printing of 500 copies, which will generate funds towards the restoration fund. We are really pleased about the bank coming through – we only heard on Thursday or Friday.

We did that until about 3 pm, after which the boys and I finished school with the science experiment. We’re still doing a section on light and mirrors which has been very interesting. Friday’s was particularly good – we made a pinhole camera, which I’ve never seen working before. We painted the inside of a paper box lid black, then pricked a hole in the bottom and stuck a big piece of vellum (or tracing paper) over the top. Then we had to sit under a dark blanket so there was no light coming in, and look at the vellum side as though it were a TV screen. The result was truly amazing – I won't give it away in case any of you want to try it! I was so excited I wanted Nick and his two guitar pupils to come and see, but they asked if they *really* had to so I let them off. Anyway, the boys and I were exclaiming at how wonderful it was.




Yesterday was the usual Saturday stuff: Good News Club, a quick stop in town to drop off a DVD, then home by 11.15 where there was plenty of time for a mom-imposed-all-family-clean-up which yielded good results. After lunch the boys watched a video and Nick and I did some more work on the book. I spent a large chunk of the afternoon weeding the front garden. I have been meaning to do this, but never seem to get around to it at a time when it’s not raining and I have nothing else pressing needing attention – yesterday was the day! There was some drizzle, but it was fairly comfortable to be outside. I’m still trying to get the dirt out from under my nails. I threw away countless snails – fortunately the mud was so thickly crusted on my fingers that I didn’t really need to touch them as such. I even found snail babies. Apparently snails start off as little round, semi-opaque white blobs. I also uprooted a lot of worms which I did NOT enjoy seeing. The nasturtiums are doing really well and taking over a large section, but I’m happy with them as they tend to keep the other weeds under control.


By 4.15 I had removed most of the larger weeds and was really tired and sore, so came in and rested for a few minutes before supper, which was fried wahoo steaks, chips and corn and Brussels. The fish was really lovely, and when they had finished their supper the boys each had an extra piece of it from the frying pan. Nick did the chips – we went for a different look, leaving the skins on and slicing them into rounds. They were really great, kind of like brown-bread chips. Aaron wasn’t keen on the skin idea, so between those and the solitary brussel sprout I made each boy eat, he took a long time to finish!

No particular plans for today...we were hoping to do the Diana's Peak walk, but the weather is going to put an end to that plan!

No comments: