Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Seeing the sea again

I was imagining that I would have the whole day to myself today for beading since we’re having school holidays – I’m getting stock up to sell. As it turned out though, I only had most of the morning. I baked choc-chip cookies and peanut butter biscuits in the morning too, so that was a chunk of time gone, and then stopped at 11.45 to make snackwiches.
After lunch I just had time for one more necklace over a cup of coffee, and then we went to town. We were intending to do the Munden’s walk, which has been much improved and made safer by the CAN France people who did the wharf stabilisation project, but as we started up the first section we realized that Caleb’s coughing and failure to bring his asthma pump were going to be a serious inhibition to our plans. Instead, we went to Ruperts, where we sat on the rocks and drank our Rio’s, ate chips, and stared at the sea. It’s been a long time since we’ve sat at the water’s edge and heard the qwoddle-oddle-oddle of the stones being dragged back by the water. I realized today that I very much miss the interaction one has in town – when you go to the shops in town, you see people you know, and smile, and greet…here in Longwood, we only see each other, or the three or four ladies in the shops. I never appreciated what a friendly place town is! The weather was lovely and warm, although there was a slight drizzle at Ruperts which we didn’t mind. And then back to Longwood, where the road ahead had all but disappeared in the fog.

No comments: