Sunday, July 16, 2006

Nick's bad back (naughty back, naughty naughty back)

Nick hurt his back yesterday by clicking it funny, and was in quite a lot of pain last night. We were quite worried when he woke up this morning and was still quite sore, also because he had a restless night and was up during the night and couldn’t believe how much pain he was in. We wondered if he would have to go to SA for treatment! Anyway, it didn’t seem quite as bad this morning, but I phoned the hospital to make an appointment for him to see a doctor. The way it works though, you don’t phone for an appointment, at least not on a Saturday – you arrive at 9.30 and join the queue, and get seen by whatever doctor is available on a first-come, first-served basis. The doctor simply gave him a posterior injection, and some painkillers and anti-inflams to take home. He said that if it hasn’t settled down in five days, Nick must go back and see him again. So Nick spent the day very quietly at home. We hired a DVD for the boys, because on the weekends I consider myself off-duty as being their sole entertainer, so if Nick is unavailable then the TV it is. We got “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” for them, but they were mostly scared. I guess it was pretty unsettling to see a fat boy sucked out of a pool of chocolate and up a tube, and a girl turn into a giant blueberry, and another one thrown down a garbage chute by squirrels…

I had to lead the worship for Good News Club on my own, and then it was my turn to do the talk. Before we started singing, I had stamped anyone willing with a purple cluster of grapes on their forehead. Some didn’t want it, but I told them everyone was doing it and then they wanted it too. My talk was on peer pressure! I think it went well. I closed off with a story from a book called “Jesus Freaks”, about young martyrs, and got all choked up at the end.

No comments: