Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Nursing, anyone?

I finished off the painting today, but the schoolroom was so hot that it nearly did me in. Even with both doors open and some through breeze going, it was like an oven. Actually there was no through breeze. I’m sure today was the hottest day we’ve had. Anyway, all that needs to be done on the pictures now is to go over the black lines with a marker again to make the outlines nice and bold. We made a poster with the dates and times of the holiday club, and stuck that on the door. We really picked our time though – 4 pm on Market Street would be the equivalent of 5 pm on the N1! We are fairly certain that at least half of the island’s population saw us or the notice as they drove home (or caught the bus home) from work. Brilliant way of advertising! Kind of like hanging a banner over a bridge on the N1…

Today and tomorrow there is a careers fair on the go here. The Consulate Hotel is full of government departments and other enterprises and industries with stands, advertising what they do and why prospective school leavers should join. Nick and I took the boys (I couldn’t have handled this on my own). We saw Guy at his nursing stand, trying to recruit people to study nursing. I had to decline. There was some interesting stuff for the boys to see, like a microscope with a blood sample, and a video recording of a dog being castrated. I think that’s what they were doing, I didn’t stay to watch the whole thing because I thought it might be inappropriate for the boys…at least, that was the excuse I gave myself! It was interesting to see the inside of the hotel though, certainly a lot bigger than it looks from the outside.

Going into Spar today for bread was such a pleasure…Nick had dropped the boys and me off at the entrance, as he had to find parking right down at the docks and walk up. The Spar is one of the few airconditioned places on the island, and I’m certain that some old ladies go and sit there all day to pass time in a cool place. Anyway, I had a bit of a wait to cut my bread, but this time didn’t mind…when Nick walked through the door his hot face lit up and he hovered there for a while, before we remembered that we had to go outside again.

I have to include this here - first, part of a letter from Caleb’s grandpa, my dad: “…you must tell Daddy to cut the bullseyes heads off so that we can't see the eyes, because I won't like the bullseye to look at me with its eyes while I am eating it.”

Caleb’s response: “Dear Grandpa, um, the bullseye can’t look at you while you eating because it’s dead. It can’t see anything and it can’t feel anything.”

No comments: