Tuesday, March 23, 2010

In the kitchen

Slept well on our second-hand bed, the first night in our new home. So great to wake up this morning (and just look at that sunrise from the kitchen window) knowing that we had a busy day ahead, and meander to the diningroom not worrying about getting dressed or looking in the least bit presentable first! (Note to Carl and Miriam – yes, that WAS me looking presentable first thing in the morning…in case you were wondering J ). Had a lazy start to the day but eventually got some school going – the boys did some of their written work while I worked in the kitchen - and it's not always boring for the boys! They were laughing hilariously at their own sentence fragments... Nick did some prep at home in the morning and then tucked back into the business of furniture making. I went out to borrow Carl’s drill (power screwdriver), hammer, and internet connection, then did a few more bits of shopping for necessities before settling in to help Nick. I got pretty adept at making drawers while he built the frames for our wardrobes and bedside tables. Also had to go out in the afternoon to collect my antique Rimu writing desk. At about 5 pm I thought I had better start putting a meal together. Truthfully told, I was putting it off as the thought of preparing a meal with one pot and a frying pan was a little daunting, apart from the fact that I’ve cooked about three times in the last three months. Managed to pull together a spaghetti bolognaise though, leaving the mince mix in a pyrex dish in the oven while I cooked the pasta. Turned out pretty well despite taking so long to make – I’m already missing my Braun! Chopping onions, green peppers and carrots by hand (okay, I grated the carrots) is no joke. Loved the luxury of my sea-view though as I prepared a meal. I love my little kitchen. I also love the laundry where my brand new washing machine and tumble dryer proudly stand side by side. I did my first load of washing in it today with joy.

No comments: