Thursday, December 11, 2008

Week 36, Day 5

Today, our last day of school, was great. The boys were rearing to go, so by 8.30 we made a formal start (they had already done their Maths by then). We only had a bit of language to do, and then two read-alouds – everything else had been done ahead of schedule during the week. As a result, we were finished by 9.30! Then came the awards ceremony, during which the boys sat wriggling and giggling on the couch while Nick made a speech and then handed out certificates.
We spent the rest of the morning out and about, and at 11.30 made our way to town for lunch at Sally’s – a celebratory meal and also apparently my reward for being “teacher of the year”! We arrived in town in time to watch the street parade of the Pillings Primary Children which was entertaining, then we ate our lunch in Castle Gardens.
The afternoon was taken up with housework and domestic duties – good to catch up on stuff occasionally. The boys were lovely helpers, vacuuming part of the lounge while I ironed. Then Caleb wanted to lend a hand with supper, so together we made fishcakes to go with my pre-made macaroni. He was very good and it was fun to have him around. I can’t have both boys in the kitchen together, but individually they’re great. Caleb shredded the tuna in the blender, chopped the onion, cracked the egg and beat it, then helped with the mixing of the batter. I had already cooked the potatoes and mashed them earlier in the afternoon, so it only took about 20 minutes to get everything ready.

Yesterday I met an ex-pat couple who have moved back into Piccolo after a few months of holiday in the UK. They must have arrived on Tuesday eve, but I saw them for the first time when I went for bread yesterday, sitting outside on their porch. I went over to introduce myself and the boys tagged along. I had no intention of weeding the garden in the afternoon, but when I saw some long ivy strands needing wrapping through the holes in the wall, and did that, I somehow got drawn into the garden. I guess in my case it’s better when gardening (particularly weeding) happens spontaneously. If I have to plan for it, it’s a burden. But yesterday I had an enjoyable time with it. I sorted out the first ivy plant, then weeded quite a lot (the ground was dry but soft and they came out easily with a bit of digging), before detangling the second ivy plant and feeding the runners through the gaps in the wall. While I was busy the boys came and told me excitedly that they had been spying on our new neighbours, for which they were sternly rebuked and instructed, by me, not to do again. In the garden we have pumpkin plants growing. When Nick so diligently cut up the pumpkins for me a few weeks ago, he threw all the pumpkin guts into the garden. I have no idea why he did this. The flies loved it though so I asked Nick to bury everything, which he obediently did. Now all the pips are growing and we have heaps of plants – way too many for one garden, so I uprooted most of them and discarded most of them. The pumpkins done, I turned back to the weeds, but not before noticing Caleb and Aaron standing on the edge of our neighbours’ property, staring at them. Like good Pharisees, they were obeying the letter of the law by not spying!! Obviously the boys are so unaccustomed to having people around that they have quite simply forgotten how to behave.

No comments: