Saturday, December 13, 2008

Fund-raising, party and dress-up

Nick was called in to receive a cheque for ₤40.85 from St Paul’s Middle School yesterday, from a fun face-painting activity they had had for which the children needed to bring 20p. Although it’s a small amount we are still so blessed that people are giving and thinking of us in their charitable and money-raising efforts.
We were anxiously watching the time during the assembly as we needed to get to town by 10 so I would be ready for my bead-selling appointment by 10.30, but everything went smoothly and timeously. The weather in town was undecided; worse in the country – it has been raining or at least misty for a few consecutive days now. My washing is piling up. Anyway, it didn’t really look good for sitting outside in front of the canister, but the drizzle was just light enough not to ruin the cardboard tags upon which all my necklaces hang. I did eventually move into the entrance of the canister, and actually not a moment too soon – apart from the slightly heavier precipitation, a PW&SD truck came reversing into the exact spot I had been sitting in order to fix a light. Then along came Pilling Primary School to sing Christmas carols, again occupying my former spot. Meanwhile, I was out of the later-developing sunshine, so all in all it was good. Tammy had also been there all morning selling her Christmas CD, of which she sold about 8. It was great to have her there to chat to every now and then! I met a few interesting people, particularly yachties who stopped to look. Also inside the Tourist Office was Wanda Isaacs doing a lace-making demonstration. I was very pleased with my own sales.

This morning was the Good News Club Christmas party. We sang two songs before Nick organized the children into games – the indoor games were balloon volleyball and I think balloon basketball, and then a few rounds of musical statues. Enid and I got all the food ready meanwhile, and by the time the kids were statued and musical chaired-out, we were ready for them. There followed the usual excitement accompanying the eating of party food, and when we felt that enough chips, sweets, coconut fingers, meatballs, chocolates and pizza squares had been eaten, we brought them back inside to receive their Christmas presents. Enid arranges a present for every child who has attended during the year and wraps them up, which is really a huge undertaking for which we are grateful. At about 11.40 we were pretty much finished and the kids went home with their presents.

Nick and I have been invited to “Cocktails and Carols” at Plantation House on Thursday. While I was lying awake in bed early it occurred to me that I have absolutely nothing suitable to wear to a Black Tie occasion. I had a mild panic before concocting a plan in my mind which involved the purchase of material to make a dress. The plan was discussed with Nick and although he’s not keen on me spending my camera money, he agreed that it would be appropriate. So, while we were in town yesterday, I dragged Nick and the boys to the only two shops which sell material – Victoria’s and the Emporium. At Victoria’s I found something which I really liked, but no lining, which was a good thing because I found lining at the Emporium on sale at 99p a metre – quite a saving when I needed four metres of it! I came away with everything I need to make a long evening dress in a red/burgundy, with a rose lining which will peep out the bottom. I’m really excited to start sewing it – it’s been ages since I’ve sewed a dress, and ages since dressing up for an occasion! I also needed shoes though, and bought a suitable pair of heeled black sandals on sale at Warren’s – marked down from ₤17.69 (gasp) to ₤10.69. They must be quite fancy, because not only was each sandal individually wrapped in plastic in the box, but there are also two spare heel tips included in the box.

We were home for the afternoon and then back to town again early evening, this time for a street parade organized by the Rock Club in aid of our restoration fund – yet another organization wanting to do something to help us! Caleb and Aaron wore every item of fancy dress stuff they could find, which really only amounted to their ghost costumes, red vests and beanies. They blended in surprisingly well and did the entire parade on the back of a truck, which they simply helped themselves onto. Nick and I were asked to carry one of the collection tins which was moderately embarrassing, but also fun in a way because a lot of people gave, even though we were bringing up the rear. We wait to see how much money was collected, and I’m sure Nick will be called in to receive another giant cheque.

No comments: