Thursday, May 10, 2007

Weather, wall, and where's our car?

The weather seems to have changed here…it’s been relentlessly windy, day and night, and I mean really windy, not just a fresh tropical breeze. This afternoon I was out in town, and as I was walking across the road I was nearly blown over as I took a step…I needed to have both feet firmly planted on the ground to stay put! With all the wind, the house is a mess. It’s not just dust that lines the windowsills, it’s actually black sea-sand. You can imagine how delightful that becomes after even a few days – if I collected it all we could probably build a small sandpit in the backyard. This afternoon I got stuck in with vacuuming, and it was so exciting to see the sand whisked away, and things looking fresh again. I get stressed when the house is messy, and psychotic when it’s actually dirty, so am feeling a whole bunch better now, even though I only got as far as the lounge and diningroom. At least I know those two rooms are done (but for how long?!).

Nick has finished pointing up the boundary wall, so yesterday we started painting it. He did the top, standing on the wall while painting with white enamel, and I did the side with the peppermint masonry acrylic. Nick continued this afternoon with the peppermint, and probably will be finished with it tomorrow. It’s looking grand! Once that’s done, he can bring some scaffolding around from the schoolyard, and fix up the house walls, so that we can then paint that too. I think we’re both pretty excited about getting the house itself painted (although just the back at this stage) because it really looks so terrible!

Still no car yet…we’re starting to wonder if it’s even on the ship. I keep reassuring Nick that it’s probably in one of the containers, and will be driven out as soon as enough boxes have been unpacked…but the possibility always remains that it didn’t get on the ship at all. He’s been to the docks about three times today, just to see if it’s there. Shame, he’s quite disappointed. At present we’re driving around in an earlier-model Fiesta, a white one, which is lovely, although there is something wrong with the brakes (they work, but shudder). The golf started losing its water again yesterday; it was gushing out onto the driveway after Nick put in about six litres…this directly after the garage had attended to it after it broke down on Sunday and deemed it all fixed up! So we had to explain about twenty times at bible study last night that this Fiesta is not the new one…

No comments: