Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hotel Rwanda

From Caleb to his grandparents again: “Granny and Grandpa, you know what, I love you, and I swim well, and we bought yellow rectangles with letters on and I can read them by myself and with mom, and sometimes mom lets me wipe Aaron’s bum [no I don’t] and the washing machine did spray water everywhere and the vacuum cleaner doesn’t work. The red vacuum cleaner doesn’t work and we got two banana trees, little banana trees. And we losing bugs all the time and we love you and we went to the post office today but mom’s key didn’t work but then she’s key did work. And there wasn’t anything in the post box so we went down to Spar and we got in the car and then we went home and now we at home and that’s all.”

And Aaron: “Granny and Grandpa, I love you two and we at Santalina and I will able to be five and I love you too and I love you two Granny and Grandpa. I can jump high also and I can run fast. And I love you toooo, and I love you. Amen.”

We watched another good DVD last night called “Hotel Rwanda”. It was a Hollywood production about the Rwandan genocide, really very well done. It’s based on truth, and the actual real-life hero of the story, Paul Rosesesbowana (or something) was a consultant on the movie. He was a hotel manager at the time of the Tutsi uprising, and played a big part in sheltering many people and saving many lives. It was terribly sad and shocking though, nearly 1 million people were killed (not during the making of the movie). Many Rwandans who survived the genocide were cast as extras, so it was quite something for them to have to relive it, but they all wanted the story told and everyone apparently was open to talking about the details and specifics of what went on so that the movie could be very accurate.

No comments: